Friday, August 31, 2012

Hoof trimming

It's that time again.  Time to call Mr. Hoof Trimmer.  We'll have all the girls done except the itty-bitties that were born in the last three months.

Hooves grow.  I guess they're kind of like fingernails.  They can get chipped, split, broken, and too long.  Mostly what I've ever seen was too long.  Ayan's hooves are starting to look like clown shoes, if you ask me.

I LOVE hoof trimming day.  Mr. Hoof Trimmer comes to the Ag Farm and we all bring our animals to him.  I lead each one around (one at a time) and he watches how the heifer or cow walks.  We walk away from him and then back to him.  I lead her through a type of chute with a head gate.  I hand him the chain straps that go under her belly, and he attaches them up top.  Then he pushes a button and the whole thing slowly tilts until she is lying on her side all relaxed.  He uses his hand tools and power tools to carefully trim the hooves.  He also inspects their hooves for good health and tells me if there's anything wrong.  Before he lets her down, he even puts an anti-bacterial on her hooves for good measure.  It's almost like a pedicure without the polish!  

No comments:

Post a Comment