Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Planning for the Unknown

We like to plan ahead, but this year is going to be difficult.  We are going to have to wait until the last minute to see about a lot of things.  I hope it doesn't cause any problems with getting my registrations in or in overpaying for registrations.  These are the kinds of things I think about and eventually ask questions about to the people who know the answers:

Ayan is a nurse cow.  She is also a show cow.  She is nursing Fara AND the bald face bull calf, Bucko.  So what do I do?  Do I take Fara and Bucko off her and show Ayan and Fara in July at Sooner State? Would I have to sell Bucko?  Or do I just have to put Fara and Bucko on a bottle for a few days? Do I take Fara to the show and feed her a bottle there and run Ayan through the milking parlor?  Will Ayan even be in good condition to show?  Can you "milk out" a cow by putting a calf on it at the show?  Is that bad?  Can that even be done evenly/correctly?

It's possible that Posey could deliver before Sooner State.  If she does, do I take her and show her as a cow?  Will she be in good condition for it?  Would we need to leave Ayan at home and nurse Posey's calf?   Will she still be in condition to nurse Posey's?  Will we just bottle feed Posey's?  I definitely know that Posey is going to the dairy.  I have those arrangements made.

If Posey hasn't calved yet, we should just leave her at home, but then someone is going to have to check her.  That makes me nervous.   What if she has problems?  All the people that know what to do will be at the show with us.

It would be more comfortable for Posey to stay home.  That way she wouldn't have to be tied up and confined.  After seeing Faith just before she calved, I feel sorry for those poor mamas-to-be.  They look so miserable.  I want whatever is best for Posey.

That leaves Juicy.  Am I only going to get to show one animal at Sooner State?

It's frustrating to own four show animals with a possible fifth one before the show and maybe only get to take one to show. 

I still have the same types of questions for County, but the cow situation is a no-brainer.  They don't let us show cows at County.

I wonder about the barn for OKC.  I wonder how done it will be.  I wonder if they are even going to accept cows.  I hear they are not rebuilding the milking parlor.  We don't have a portable milking system.  I wonder if they will bring in a milking trailer or something?  So I don't know if I can bring Posey or Ayan to OKC.  

I also wonder what my little herd will be like by ***THE TULSA STATE FAIR***!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment