Tuesday, March 20, 2012

From Parsley to Posey

My God mother and God uncle were helping me set up a pen to get ready for my very first show animal, an Ayrshire heifer calf.  Her name was Parsley, and she wasn't there yet...or so I thought.

They were dragging a stock trailer and they said that it was for pigs that they needed to pick up or something. When we were done setting up the pen, she said," So do you think you're ready for her?" I said , "I think so..." and she said, "Posey's in the trailer!"

I was so happy. We got her out of the trailer and we got her into the pen and I fed her and bonded with her for 3 months at my house. Then we moved her to my God mother's farm. We set up a long pen in the barn. And when she was 4 months old I fed her, I led her, and then once I was done with my chores I turned off the. Barn light and before I left I said," Love you!" then left.

One day, I went to my mom's classroom after school and she was congested. She wasn't before school... I said," What's wrong?" she said, "Nothing, just congested."  When we were walking out the door, she said, "We don't have any chores today." I was happy about it, but I didn't know why I didn't have to go do my work.

When we got home, we did my homework and then mom said we needed to discuss some things. I don't remember how she said it, but the idea was, "Parsley died."  At first I thought she was joking, but when she started crying, I knew she was telling the truth. She wasn't congested.  She had been crying.  I cried for about an hour, and I didn't know what to do.   Her digestive system wasn't developed right, and she bloated and died sometime in the night.  The vet said there was nothing that anyone could have done. 

Mom told me to think about it.  Either I could quit showing altogether, or I could get another heifer and start over. 

When I cried myself out that afternoon, I told Mom I wanted to try again.  We talked about getting another Ayrshire, but we didn't know when that could happen. I knew that I wanted her name to be Posey. Two or three weeks later (which felt like months) I was watching tv in the living room with my parents, and my mom got a phone call. She left the room and came back smiling. She said," An Ayrshire heifer was born this morning and her name is Posey!" Posey was born sometime in the early morning and they found her prancing around in the snow. Funny thing about Posey is every time she walks on snow she dances and prances in it! I've had her ever since!

They loaded her up in the back seat of the pickup and drove her to our house while we scrambled around and got a pen assembled for her.  I treated her umbilical cord, and  I fed her colostrom.  I'm the only mother she's known since the day she was born.

(2011 - Just trying to keep calm before we enter the ring.)









Now, Posey is expecting her first heifer calf the first week of August!

Still haven't thought of a name that starts with a P, if you can think of any good names that start with a P, leave them as a comment please! That would really help me out!

Parsley October 2009 - February 2010
She'll live on in my heart forever!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment