Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Oklahoma Jersey Youth Achievement Award Application


The Oklahoma Jersey Cattle Club is getting ready to have its annual meeting.  There will be some people there that I know.  I imagine that three families in particular will be there.  The Thompsons from Kendrick, the Corleys from Tuttle, and the Cobbs from Perkins.  They each operate their own family Jersey dairies.   They are all really nice and do a lot to promote dairy in Oklahoma.

I found out a couple of weeks ago that I can apply for the Oklahoma Jersey Youth Achievement Award.  It has about ten questions on it.  It asks basically the same types of questions that the princess applications ask and that the 4-H record book asks about your story.  Since I've filled out three of those applications and three record books, I'm not really nervous about filling out this application.  I just have to remember to tell them about all the different things that I do with dairy.

This is only my first year to show my own Jerseys, so I may not even qualify to be considered for an award.  That's okay.  The experience of applying is good.  I'll be even more prepared to apply for it and for other things next time.

On November 17th, the Oklahoma Jersey Cattle Club will meet.  The adults will have a meeting and the youth will have their own meeting and elect officers.  Sometime during the meeting and the meal to follow, they will announce the winner or winners.  I don't know how many they award.  It might be just one.  Might be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd place.  Might be one winner per age group.  I don't know.  I guess I'll have to wait until the 17th to find out for sure.


***UPDATE***



The OJCC meeting was the biggest one that they remember.  They had to open up the other half of the banquet room to have enough seating for everyone.  We talked about the Jersey Field Day in June.  We elected officers.  We had a Jr. meeting and elected officers and our princess and queen.  We talked about the Southern National Show in April.  They announced the placings in the production and achievement awards.  There were twelve Jrs. that applied for the achievement award.  I placed 6th.  I'm satisfied with that.  I've only shown Jerseys a short while.  This is the first meeting I've been to.  I wouldn't have been surprised if I had placed dead last, but I did okay.  I'm happy.  They awarded me a really nice heavy nylon and chain calf halter.  I can sure put that to use!  It won't be on a Jersey this time, but I can sure put it to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment