Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Vetericyn products have arrived!!!


Yea!  I got a delivery!  I received my winnings from the Proud To Dairy photo contest!  I got four bottles of pink eye spray, one teat spray, and one umbilical/navel spray.  I immediately used the pink eye spray.  (Not on me, on one of my girls!)  With these hot, dry, windy, fly-infested conditions, we are trying to keep the animals from getting pink eye.  This sprays GREAT.  It really soaks the eye.  It's much easier to use than the dry puffer that I've always used in the past.  It gives a good big squirt every time.  It really soaks in.  It also looks like it doesn't irritate their eyes like the puffer does.  I'm hoping the medicine works great, too.

From Progressive Dairyman 07-21-12
For those of you who don't know, pink-eye is a condition that happens when the bacteria from feces (otherwise known as poop) gets in the eye.  Animals have flies around them because flies like to land on poop and lay their eggs.  When they land, bacteria sticks to their legs.  When those flies buzz around animals and land around the eyes, some of that bacteria gets in the eyes.  Then they can get pink eye.

You need to control flies.  Pesticides can be sprayed or poured on.  We don't use back rubbers that the cattle can walk under because we don't want their topline hair rubbed thin.  If you don't have any neighbor cattle, you can use a product that the animals can eat combined with a loose mineral (a feed-through like Clari-fly).



I have had some really good success by offering my girls a yellow sulphur mineral block along with their regular brown mineral block.  Before that, I was starting to feel like Clem in the cartoon.

Thanks again to the people at Proud To Dairy, Progressive Dairyman, and Innovacyn for having the contest and sending me these great products for my girls!  Thanks Alan Leavitt, Walt Cooley, Emily Caldwell, and Tabitha Cromer!  I will think of you all every time I use or talk about these products!
My parents say thanks too, because you are saving them some MONEY!


No comments:

Post a Comment