Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I'm learning how to be a thrifty showgirl

We like to save money by buying nice, second-hand things or by making things/doing things ourselves.

I decided to save hundreds of dollars on a loose mineral feeder by building my own.

My granddad got me a free end-of-roll piece of oilfield gasket.  I had an old blue barrel, and GrandDad got me a threaded rod.

We used a saws-all and cut the barrel, and I smoothed out the bottom seam with a grinder.






I drilled a hole in the bottom and put the rod through and secured it with a washer and nut. 



I used a chop saw to cut the threaded rod down to size.



I drew a circle the full size of the gasket and cut it out.




I drilled a hole in the center and put a nut and washer and then the gasket and topped it off with another washer and nut. 

Ta-DA!



(GrandDad INSISTED in putting a metal foot on it, but it doesn't need it.)















This is how a cow flips up the lid with her nose!  Yep, it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment