Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Paradin' Around!

April 22, 1889 was the day of the famous land run in Oklahoma that opened up new land for settlement and established Guthrie as the first state capitol.  Every year on the Saturday closest to that date, Guthrie hosts the 89'er Parade.  Tens of thousands of people turn out to watch the parade and join in the week of festivities.

This year, and last year, I represented the Oklahoma Ayrshire Association in the parade as the Oklahoma Ayrshire Jr. Dairy Princess.  I also used the convertible as advertising for Dairy Max and 4-H. (The picture above is this years picture.) While I was ridin' on my fancy princess moblie, a woman who teaches with my mom was there with her daughter. My mom and I were paradin' down the street, and my mom stopped to switch out candy buckets, I saw the teacher's daughter sayin' "Hi Maddie! Hi Maddie! Hi Maddie!," and while we were stopped she walked right up next to the car in the middle of a parade!!! I was so surprised and worried at the same time all I could say was, "Oh hi sweetie! Mom, give her some candy! Quick!" and mom was so surprised she gave her a big handful of candy and said, "Now run along! Bye!"

On down the parade route, I saw a lady from my church, and of course I  threw candy to her and her daughter, and later, that lady told my MawMaw that she told her little girl, " Look, there's Maddie!" and the little girl said, " I know a REAL princess!?!"
I just thought that was DARLING!
It was a good day!



No comments:

Post a Comment