Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Look what I got!

The two beef calves went to the sale Saturday, and in their place, I got a little bull calf and named him...

are you ready..?

... Pretty Boy Floyd!!!  (He's just so PURDY!)

He's a Brown Swiss bull calf, about a week old, born on a dairy.





Here he is getting to know his new wet nurse, Ayan.

(Ayan had a couple teats that were kind of cracked.  It looked like one of the calves had used its teeth a lot.  We got some Vetericyn wound spray and gave her some relief before we put another round of calves on her.)

Part of the deal of using the trailer was to wash it out, so after Pretty Boy was taken care of, I had to clean up the mess from hauling off the beef calves and bringing him home.  Mom held the flashlight and kept
Cleaning out the stock trailer in the dark
me company.  She kept trying to help
spray the floor down, but I wouldn't
let her.







We gave Floyd and Ayan just over a week to level out her production, but she's a milking producing machine, so we needed one more mouth for her to feed...so we got Bucko!

I'll keep Floyd and Bucko on Ayan for the next two months until Faith calves.  Then I'll take them to the auction and put Faith's calf on Ayan.  Faith will also need a new home.  I don't know yet if she will calve at Windy Hill or at her new home.  We just have to see what kind of sale arrangements we can make.  "Dear Lord, please help me find a good home for Faith...QUICKLY."

No comments:

Post a Comment