Tuesday, June 11, 2013

FFA Banquet - May 2013


This year was my first year as an official ag student.  This was also my first year to be any sort of part of the FFA banquet.  I applied for the Outstanding 7th Grader award.  It's the only award my age can apply for.

I didn't get it.

I wasn't surprised.  The boy who won it is the person I believed earned it.  I believed that even before I filled out my application.

The boy that won is my friend, Jacob.  He wasn't even going to apply.  I hounded him for days about applying.  After my application was turned in, I got out my computer and told him I would help him.  We almost got in trouble from Ms. Jennings.  She thought I was doing it for him.  We promised her I wasn't.  We explained that I was asking him questions and he was telling me what to write.  She was good with that, but I think she might have still kept an eye on us.

That night at the banquet, I was so thrilled for him when they called his name!  He has put in so many hours helping with the elementary kids in the FFA Shadows program all year long.  He's a good worker, too.

Even though I really wanted this award, I am just as happy for Jacob as I would have been for myself.  If I hadn't pestered him into filling out the application, and if I had won, I would have never believed that I earned it.  This way it was fair and square.  The better man won, and I'm good with that.  Of course, I also feel proud for having a hand in him turning in an application.

My family is really proud of what I did.  They are so proud, in fact, that my parents volunteered to buy the Outstanding 7th Grader their first FFA official dress jacket...this year for Jacob...and for each year's winner from now on.  The only thing they ask for is a photo of the recipient in their complete official dress once the jacket arrives.  I think it's pretty cool.

I can hardly wait to get our jackets.  We are also definitely taking a group photo the day we get them out of the package in class!  Just two more months and we can get measured for them!  Yea!  


No comments:

Post a Comment