Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Expanding the facility...AGAIN!



I am trying to keep up with my growing girls.  I started out  with a good sized pen with a full-sized shed back in 2010.  Then we got permission to expand the end of it to fit a hay ring in 2011.

In the summer of 2011 we got permission to build a tiny bottle calf pen.  I spent two days in JULY that summer with my mom and my granddad out in front of the machine shop building a calf hutch in the 107 degree heat.  (Then when my calf arrived, it was bigger and older than I had planned on, so she didn't live in there long.)

Then this July, we got permission to build a medium sized heifer pen in the place of the tiny bottle calf pen.  Now, we are getting ready to pull the calf hutch out and put another full sized shed in its place.

We just put my creeper in the big pen.  It is the first time that I've needed to use it since my great grandpa gave it to me from his old pasture.  A second hay ring is in the works, custom built by a couple of the high school Ag boys for the heifer pen.

I think I had better hold off on expanding my herd with any more purchases for awhile.  I think I'd better just wait on some more babies to be born and their dams to go to the dairy!  I'm running out of options and space!

No comments:

Post a Comment